Friday, October 24, 2008

Here is a link to the fan club for Joel Austin Images that is on Facebook in case any of you want to see some more pictures of mine http://www.facebook.com/pages/JOEL-AUSTIN-IMAGES/8347354341?ref=s



On the drive south from Marquette last weekend I took 4 days to get back and did some camping on the way. Here are some of the pictures I got:


I was camped for the night at a boat landing on Dinner Lake. Since I got there fairly early in the day I was kind of on the prowl for something to do. I decided to take a hike in the woods directly north of Dinner Lake. As I was leaving I thought, “I should be bringing my compass,” but didn't go back to get it. Turns out I should have. I walked for maybe 15 minutes away from the road and then decided to turn back before I got in too deep to find a way out. Well after about 30 minutes of walking I pretty much knew that I had better consider the possibility of being lost. I wandered around a bit, maybe half an hour, and then heard a dog barking. Dogs usually mean people so I headed towards the sound. I ran across a four-wheeler trail and followed that to within sight of a house. At the house were two big dogs that weren't tied up that could've given me some rather severe perforations to my flesh...an idea I don't exactly relish. So I turned around on the four wheeler trail and followed it the other way. After several dead ends I realized that my choices were to go back and brave the dogs or prepare to spend the night out in the forest. I chose the dogs. I went and asked directions back to Dinner Lake. After I got back I looked at a map and realized that I'd have been walking a LONG way if I'd have really gotten turned around. In my defense it was an overcast day, the wind changed direction while I was out there and the terrain was pretty nondescript.




Also on the drive south I drove a course that followed the Wisconsin River which starts on Lac Vieux Desert. Lac Vieux Desert is a lake partially in Wisconsin and partially in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and so the Wisconsin River flows south almost the entire length of the state. I got pictures along most of its length and they will make up a later blog entry.



The plane of this picture is vertical and the water here is flowing straight down this rock...the only reason those leaves are there is that they've been caught on the moss. This is taken on the upper part of Bond Falls.



This is the lower part of Bond Falls on the middle branch of the Ontonagon River which is in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. This falls just happened to be on the route I was taking to get home so I stopped to check it out.

This was taken very near Dinner Lake on the morning after my near-miss getting lost. By the way those aren't dying pine trees, they're tamrack trees which lose their needles each fall.

This is a closer picture of a tamarack tree. Like I mentioned in the last caption it's not like a pine tree which is evergreen. It is a deciduous conifer and it loses it's "leaves" each year like most broadleaf trees do in this climate.




This is just a closeup of the bark of a red pine tree.


This is a picture of leaves and water. The water is very clear and some of the leaves are floating on top of the water and some are on the bottom. The distortion running up and down near the middle of the picture is caused by a wave.















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home