Thursday, February 19, 2009

This is an island in view from the top of a hill (it's called Sugarloaf Mountain but it's not really a mountain it's just a fairly big hill) that overlooks Lake Superior. I've had some pictures taken from the top of this "mountain" in earlier blog entries.

It was fairly soon after sunrise when I got this picture. I took this a couple of weeks ago in Lancaster - most of the snow has since melted in a warm spell but it's back down in the teens as I type this.

This little weasel (I wasn't 100% sure what it was so I looked it up online and found out that a weasel [which is usually brown] is called an "ermine" when it's fur is white) wasn't too scared of me. I don't have a big zoom lens for my camera and had to take this picture with the same lens I use for all the pictures that you see on this blog...so I was pretty close - maybe 15 or 20 feet away from it. I was right out in the open, actually I was walking along and saw this little dude scampering around and stopped to have a look. He/she didn't seem afraid of me, curious mostly. Actually at one point he came running up to me and was only three or four feet away. (FYI this animal is only about 14 inches long including tail)



It had been warm and this ice had broken up and then was blown into this little bay on Lake Superior.



The lake had frozen the night before this picture was taken and then was windy/wavy the day after...when this pictures was taken.




This was taken in the morning. The sun was shining on the plants in the foreground but not on the waterfall in the background. Part of the reason that these plants are so frosty is because the mist from the waterfall froze on them.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home