Friday, July 18, 2008

Streaming II


I spent the better part of this morning and part of the afternoon with wet feet (those are my feet in that first picture). I repeated my streamwalking technique (like I wrote about in a blog entry a while back) once again in order to get a different perspective on things and take what I hope are some decent pictures. Plus it was a pretty warm day so having wet feet wasn't a real downer or anything.

The weather said it was supposed to rain all of today. So I went for a bike ride last night (that's right "bike" as in two wheels. After 2 years 11 months and 4 days I can ride a bike again) and it rained. Not really a big deal, it was a warm rain so it didn't matter. And, if it's a warm rain, I kind of like riding in the rain...but I know I'm weird that way. What is kind of annoying is that it didn't rain at all today (or at least it hasn't yet). This year has really shaken my faith in meteorologists...not that there was much faith there to begin with. They just don't seem to have any idea what the hell the weather is going to be like for anything farther away than 15 minutes. But, look on the bright side: I got to get out with my camera since it wasn't raining.

Obviously this wasn't taken while I was standing in a stream. I happened to see this leaf when I was walking back to my house, with sloshing shoes, after my first streamwalk of the day.

I had a bunch of pictures of leaves and a bunch of pictures of water. So when I saw this I thought, "score," and took a picture.

I wasn't the only one walking in the stream. Well I guess this waterstrider wasn't in the stream so much as on it. You can see how clear the water was. It's maybe a foot deep here. (OK so maybe it's not very obvious what's happening in this picture. The waterstrider in on top of the surface tension of the water [OK that's probably obvious] and the rocks in are covered with a foot or so of water. You can see the light that is bouncing off the rocks distorting as it passes through the water.)

I don't even remember taking this picture. I probably bumped the shutter release on accident. Obviously the shutter speed was WAY too long to get a clear picture. When I was going through the pictures on my computer after I got back to my house I took one glance at this picture and was going to just delete it because it wasn't in focus and kind of muddled anyway...but I didn't. It's kind of growing on me now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home